Why major in Human Resource Management?
Excellent Career Opportunites in both HRM & general management - scroll down to see where recent graduates are working now!
Human Resource Association:
The Human Resource Association has a broad and actively engaged membership. It is a major source for people building strong competency and developing the talent and leadership of people in our organization. The club participates in regional and state competitions sponsored by our professional organization, Society for Human Resources Management.
Outstanding Graduate in Human Resource Management
Human Resources Concentration
People are a company's greatest asset, and managers should take proactive steps to keep their workforce satisfied and motivated. The HR option equips students with the skills needed to maximize the efforts and productivity of human resources through recruitment and retention, organizational design, training and development, diversity, performance management, and assessment. The option provides courses recommended by SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) to sit for the national certification exam.
Required Courses (fifteen credits)
- MGT 356 - Human Resource Management (prerequisite or co-requisite:
- MGT 358 - Organizational Behavior (prerequisite: MGT 350)
- MGT 359 - Staffing and Selection (prerequisite: MGT 356)
- MGT 457 - Training and Development (prerequisite: MGT 356)
- MGT 458 - Compensation and Performance Evaluation (prerequisites: MGT 356)
Elective Courses (six credits)
- MGT 352 - International Management (MGT 350, INB 300)
- MGT 452 - Organizational Development and Change (MGT 356,
- MGT 456 - Labor Relations Law (MGT 350)
- MGT 459 - Negotiation (MGT 350)
- MGT 495 - Seminar in Management (junior standing, permission of chair)
All of the above classes are CSB Restricted.
Students pursuing this option cannot also pursue an option in Management and Leadership or Entrepreneurship and Business Development
Recent graduates of HRM are working in BOTH human resource and general management. Some of the companies they work for:
Wells Fargo, Suntrust, Wilmington Group, Target, Yum!, PPD, Chevron, TIAA CREF, the Production Source, IBM, Coastal Beverage Company, OXY, Verizon, New Hanover Regional Medical Center, pwc, NCR, Castle Branch, Deloitte, US Marine Corps, Liberty Mutual, Green Mountain Coffee, Anderson Consulting, AGFirst, Wilmington Health, Coverbind, inmar, Dean Foods, RJ Reynolds, Deutsch, Time Warner Cable, Butterball, Hilton, Carlyle & Conan, STOCK Building Supply and many, many more!
New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington Health, Victaulic, Northwestern Mutual, PPD, General Electric, New Hanover County, Castle Branch, Cape Fear Community College, UNCW HR office, WorkNet Solutions...
UNCW TEAM GOLD REGIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!