Innovation Concept Pitch Competition
November 8, 2016 | 7:00pm | Cameron Hall Auditorium | UNCW
tekMountain - Wilmington’s newest business incubator/accelerator - affiliated with CastleBranch - is the Master Sponsor of UNCW’s third annual “Innovation Concept” Pitch Competition as part of UNCW’s Entrepreneurship Week.
Students who have a new business “concept” that has merit or an innovative product or service that may have commercial application are invited to apply for the opportunity to be invited to “pitch” their concept to a group of judges. Up to six UNCW students will have the opportunity to pitch their concepts.
Students will have five minutes to profile their concepts. The judges will rate the concepts in terms of the following criteria:
- The extent the concept is innovative,
- The extent the student has demonstrated the concept is targeted at an existing or emerging opportunity,
- That the concept has competitive advantages
- It is feasible, and
- It has profit potential.
The quality of the pitch/presentation including the PowerPoint slides used and the extent the student may have plans to actually pursue the concept will also be considered. Students are not expected to have fully developed business plans – yet the more the concept and pitch demonstrates the student has fleshed out key factors relevant to the concept’s merit will be recognized. Businesses already established by the students may be considered, but this is not a “business plan” competition. Instead, the emphasis is placed on the merit of their innovative concepts.
Benefits of Competing
The Concept Pitch Competition provides an excellent opportunity for students to showcase their ideas. The judges may also provide some feedback when they rate each presentation.
- There will be a prepaid credit card for $500 for the winner, $250 for second place, and $150 for third place
- Students with particularly noteworthy concepts may be invited to visit tekMountain for a follow-up meeting
- The winner will also get ten hours of consulting from Elite Innovations, also a sponsor of the competition
Deadline for submitting applications is October 17th!