Youth Entrepreneurship Program (YEP)
Dates for 2016: July 10-15
Ages: rising 8th graders and above (9th - 12th grade)
*please check for availability for other ages
Sunday, 7/10/16 3:00-4:30pm--required orientation for students and parents. Required paperwork will need to be completed (medical & insurance forms) at the Cameron School of Business, Cameron Hall Auditorium room 105.
Monday to Thursday 7/11-7/14/16 from 8:30 am to 3:30 PM
Friday 7/15/16 from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm - Parents invited to closing Presentation & Award Ceremony 11am-12:30pm at Cameron Hall, Cameron School of Business Auditorium room 105.
Cost: $70.00 *waiver of fee based on financial need...contact us for more information
Students will work with faculty, entrepreneurs and current UNCW students to learn the basics of entrepreneurship and business in a fun environment. The program provides an introduction to entrepreneurship and "hands on" project development in teams. The Youth Entrepreneurship Program culminates team project presentations on Friday to parents, UNCW guests, and local business leaders.
Goals for the week-long program include:
- working with a team of students under the guidance of university personnel to create a product that, if selected, could be commercialized by a Wilmington business;
- exploring individual talents through team building and leadership activities;
- learning and practicing study skills to utilize in high school;
- understanding the basics of building personal wealth and being "street smart" in business and our economy;
- meeting and interacting with business leaders, successful college students, and university professors in a friendly, informal setting that could lead to future rewarding relationships;
- and earning acceptance into an ongoing college prep mentoring program that advises on college careers, admissions, and access to information on scholarships and other financial aid.
We will contact all registrants to acknowledge acceptance. We will forward registraion forms to students who are accepted. Please note that additional paperwork will be required at the orientation.
Program Director: Denis Carter
Program Facilitator: Jennifer Schacher
Photos courtesy of UNCW Office of University Relations.