Youth Entrepreneurship Program (YEP)
Dates for 2014: June 22-27
Ages: rising 8th, 9th and 10th graders
*please check for availability for other ages
Sunday 3:00-4:30pm--required orientation including parents (UNCW camp paperwork must be filled out at orientation).
Monday to Thursday from 8:30 am to 3:30 PM
Friday 8:30 am to 1 pm -- Including graduation
Location: UNCW Campus, Computer Information Systems Building
Cost: $60.00 *fee can be waived based on need...contact us for more information
Teenagers will work with the program director, Denis Carter (former Cameron School of Business faculty member), and current UNCW students to learn the basics of business in a fun environment. The five-day camp will provide introductory entrepreneurial training, team-building exercises, a group project where children collaborate on a project that will be judged by local entrepreneurs, and guest speakers. The Youth Entrepreneurship Program will culminate in the campers' group project presentations on Friday to parents, UNCW guests, and local business leaders.
Goals for the week-long program include:
- working with a team of students under the guidance of university personnel to create a product that, if selected, could be commercialized by a Wilmington business;
- exploring individual talents through team building and leadership activities;
- learning and practicing study skills to utilize in high school;
- understanding the basics of building personal wealth and being "street smart" in business and our economy;
- meeting and interacting with business leaders, successful college students, and university professors in a friendly, informal setting that could lead to future rewarding relationships;
- and earning acceptance into an ongoing college prep mentoring program that advises on college careers, admissions, and access to information on scholarships and other financial aid.
We will contact all registrants to acknowledge acceptance. We will forward registraion forms to students who are accepted. Please note that additional paperwork will be required at the orientation.
Program Director: Denis Carter
Program Facilitator: Jennifer Mackethan
Photos courtesy of UNCW Office of University Relations.